Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Cultural Advice

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that this website contains names, images, and voices of deceased persons.

In addition, some articles contain terms or views that were acceptable within mainstream Australian culture in the period in which they were written, but may no longer be considered appropriate.

These articles do not necessarily reflect the views of The Australian National University.

Richmond, Mary (1854–1938)

The death has occurred at Kincairney, Murthly, Perthshire, in Scotland, of Mrs. Mary Richmond, widow of Mr. James Richmond, who was well-known in Australia as the owner of Haddon Rig. Mr. Richmond came to Australia from Scotland in 1852. He took up sheep farming, and at various time owned several well-known stations. He was best known as the owner of Haddon Rig, and with Mr. E. Scott as partner of Gingie, Walgett. In 1892, Mr. and Mrs. Richmond took their family to Scotland, and Mrs. Richmond never returned to Australia. At a later date Mr. Richmond purchased Kincairney, near Murthly, in Perthshire, where he died in 1923. This estate now goes to Major Richmond, of Mogilla (N.S.W.). Mrs. Richmond had five children.

Original publication

Citation details

'Richmond, Mary (1854–1938)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, https://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/richmond-mary-18249/text29842, accessed 25 June 2021.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2021

Life Summary [details]

Alternative Names
  • Leslie, Mary
Birth

1854

Death

1938
Kincairney, Perthshire, Scotland

Cultural Heritage