Mr. George A. Terry, who died at Rouse Hill House, near the village of Rouse Hill, N.S.W., on the 24th of last month in his 86th year, was a member of well known pioneering families. He was a son of the Hon. Samuel H. Terry, M.L.C., and Mrs. Terry, whose maiden name was Caroline Weaver, also a pioneer family.
Mr. Terry was a great grandson of Samuel Terry, who arrived in New South Wales at the beginning of the 19th century and with two others founded the Bank of New South Wales in 1817. Samuel Terry helped with the development of the Colony in many ways, and so did Mr. Terry's uncles, Richard, of Denistone, and Edward, of Eastwood Estate, both at Ryde, N.S.W., who were prominent citizens of their day. Also, Mr. Terry's father played his part as M.L.A. for New England and Mudgee before being appointed to the Upper House.
For nearly 50 years Mr. Terry owned and managed Box Hill, in the Rouse Hill district, a property of 4000 acres where he was born, as also was his father. He was educated at Katoomba, N.S.W., and privately before taking over the family estate. Whilst at Box Hill he was master of the Sydney Hunt Club from 1900 to 1910 and was the last M.F.H. of the club, which had been founded 30 years earlier by Edward Terry, of Eastwood, who also founded the Sydney Coaching (four-in-hand) Club. Mr. George Terry, who was always a keen horseman, rode in amateur and picnic races with A. B. ("Banjo") Paterson and other leading riders of his day, and won a Corinthian Plate and several steeplechases.
He married Miss Nina Rouse, a daughter of Mr. Edwin Rouse, of Rouse Hill Estate, who was a brother of Mr. Richard Rouse, of Guntawang Station, N.S.W., and of Mrs. A. A. Dangar, of Baroona, Singleton, N.S.W. Rouse Hill Estate, where Mr. and Mrs. Terry had resided for the past 25 years, was a grant to Mrs. Terry's great grandfather, the first Richard Rouse, by Governor Lachlan Macquarie. The grant was affirmed in 1816, but the land was occupied by Mr. C. J. Rouse in 1813. In 1817 Richard Rouse commenced building the homestead, which was completed in 1822, the whole of the materials for it being taken by bullock waggons from Parramatta. This fine old edifice of sandstone, brick, and red cedar still receives much attention from the Historical Society of New South Wales.
Mr. Terry is survived by his widow and five sons—Geoffrey, Roderick, Edwin, Gerald, and Noel—as well as numerous grandchildren.
'Terry, George A. (1872–1957)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/terry-george-a-963/text964, accessed 1 May 2017.