Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Cultural Advice

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that this website contains names, images, and voices of deceased persons.

In addition, some articles contain terms or views that were acceptable within mainstream Australian culture in the period in which they were written, but may no longer be considered appropriate.

These articles do not necessarily reflect the views of The Australian National University.

Kenrick, Atwill Buxton (1863–1922)

Atwill Kenrick, n.d.

Atwill Kenrick, n.d.

from Pastoral Review, 16 June 1922

The late Mr. Atwill Buxton Kenrick, of Clive and Collaroy, Central Queensland, who died at Woodleigh, Beaudesert, Q., on 11th April, was born at Newcastle, N.S.W., in 1863. He was the eldest son of the late Atwill Kenrick, who came out in the fifties to the A.A. Company. His mother was a grand-daughter of Dean Cowper, of Sydney. The family moved to Liverpool in 1864, and later to Werrington, near Penrith.

Mr. A. B. Kenrick commenced his education at Waverley House, Waverley, and in 1876 entered King's School, Parramatta where he remained for four years. After six months' service with the Bank of New South Wales he went in 1883 to Bullerawa Station, near Wee Waa, and then, after some farming experience, went, in 1888, to the Gulf of Carpentaria, from whence he travelled overland to Nyngan, N.S.W., with a large mob of bullocks for the late Mr. W. W. Richardson. He then took over the management of Moonigie, Cobar, for that gentleman, and, after three years at Moonigie, was appointed manager of Kihee and Congie Stations, Thargomindah, south-west Queensland, for the Bank of New South Wales, later going to Hillgrove, Armidale, N.S.W., for the same bank.

In 1898 Mr. Kenrick took over the management of Waverley Station, Broadsound, Central Queensland (the property for many years of the late J. A. Macartney), for the Australian Bank of Commerce—the old A.J.S. Bank—and then, in 1901, the management of Tilpal for the trustees of the Mackie Estate, and Willangie for the Christians. He then, in conjunction with his cousin, Mr. G. Platt, acquired Clive Station, Marlborough, which Mr. Kenrick managed for six years. Then with the Macdonalds, of Bromelton, Logan River, he purchased Collaroy, a fine cattle property on the west side of Connor's Range, the interest in which, after managing for seven years, he disposed to his partners.

In January 1917, Mr. Kenrick married Vans, the youngest daughter of the late J. A. Macartney, of Ormiston House, Ormiston, Brisbane. A careful manager and good judge of stock, and of very quiet disposition, Mr. Kenrick was held in the highest esteem in the Central District, and Queensland is poorer by his demise.

Original publication

Citation details

'Kenrick, Atwill Buxton (1863–1922)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, https://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/kenrick-atwill-buxton-553/text554, accessed 24 April 2021.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2021

Atwill Kenrick, n.d.

Atwill Kenrick, n.d.

from Pastoral Review, 16 June 1922