Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Cultural Advice

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that this website contains names, images, and voices of deceased persons.

In addition, some articles contain terms or views that were acceptable within mainstream Australian culture in the period in which they were written, but may no longer be considered appropriate.

These articles do not necessarily reflect the views of The Australian National University.

Philip Hoskins Gell (1823–1883)

A correspondent has enabled us to give some particulars of the late Mr. Philip Hoskins Gell, an old and useful resident of Tasmania, but latterly of New South Wales, who died at Launceston on 30th ult. Mr. Gell, who was the son of an English barrister, and first cousin to the Rev. John P. Gell, the first Warden of Christ's College, Bishopsbourne, arrived in Tasmania from England about 1842, and was received by his uncle, the late Mr. J. G. Parker, of Parknook, Lake River. Being a civil engineer by profession, he took great interest in the irrigation works then being carried on in the Ross district by Messrs. P. T. Smith, R. Q. Kermode, Parramore, and Horton, and also assisted the hon. Wm. Talbot, of Malahide, in the Fingal district, in carrying out irrigation workings on that estate. While engaged in these operations on large sheep and cattle stations, he imbibed the desire to become a land and stockowner himself, and purchased that valuable property on the Macquarie River, known as Baskerville, in the Campbell Town district, and soon took a prominent part in public and social matters connected with the colony. He was a good judge of stock, and a thorough sportsman, and used to not only hunt with the Quorn, Carrick, and Melton hounds, but was a breeder and owner of racehorses, and amongst the well known horses that have carried his colours may be mentioned The White Squall, Temperance, Forester, Marchioness, and Livingston, the last named having run at the Champion race won by Mormon. Mr. Gall was placed in the Commission of the Peace on 12th September, 1853, and was also a useful member and afterwards chairman of the Northern Macquarie Road Trust. In October, 1856, he was elected as member for South Esk in the Legislative Council, and continued to represent that district until his departure from the colony, when he was succeeded by the late hon. F. M. Innes. It was about 1864 that he removed to New South Wales, where he purchased the Burrongong Station, near Urana, on the Murrumbidgee, and he has since resided there, paying an occasional visit to Tasmania. He took with him to New South Wales a number of stud sheep, and also the racehorse Livingston, and his sister by Lugar, and since his residence in the sister colony he has maintained his love of sporting, and has bred such horses as the Precton, by the Premier; Euston, by Camden; and Rosicrucian, by Euston. At the sale of the late Rawdon Greene, Esq., Mr. Gell purchased some grand mares, including Palestine and other good breeders. His death took place, at the age of 60, while on a visit to this colony, and his remains were interred at St. Luke's Church, Lake River. He leaves a widow, three sons, and three daughters.

Original publication

Citation details

'Gell, Philip Hoskins (1823–1883)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University,, accessed 16 April 2024.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2024

Philip Gell, by J. W. Beattie

Philip Gell, by J. W. Beattie

Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts, Tasmania, 619114

Life Summary [details]


Windermere, Westmorland, England


30 January, 1883 (aged ~ 60)
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia

Cultural Heritage

Includes subject's nationality; their parents' nationality; the countries in which they spent a significant part of their childhood, and their self-identity.