Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Cultural Advice

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that this website contains names, images, and voices of deceased persons.

In addition, some articles contain terms or views that were acceptable within mainstream Australian culture in the period in which they were written, but may no longer be considered appropriate.

These articles do not necessarily reflect the views of The Australian National University.

Charles Hill Douglas (1842–1898)

Charles Hill Douglas, who died at his residence, "Moorakyne," Malvern, near Melbourne, on 30th March last, was the younger son of the late David Douglas, W.S., of Edinburgh, and was born in that city 25th September, 1842, and educated at the Edinburgh Academy. He came out to Victoria in 1859, and was thus a colonist of thirty-eight years at the time of his death. His first colonial experience was gained with Mr. George Black, at Tarwin, and subsequently on the late Mr. George Fairbairn's "Illilawa" station, on the Murrumbidgee, near Hay. Whilst there Mr. Douglas brought the first draught of sheep overland from South Australia to "Illilawa." In 1863 the deceased gentleman, in conjunction with his brother, Mr. Henry Douglas, and Mr. Archibald Menzies, acquired "Gelam" and "Budgee-Budgee" cattle stations, on the Murrumbidgee, from the late Mr. William Campbell. During the next year "Budgee-Budgee" was resold to Mr. James Richmond. "Gelam" was held by the partnership, which was known as Menzies and Douglas for two years longer. In the year 1865 Mr. C. H. Douglas and his brother, Mr. H. Douglas, bought "Bringenbrong" and "Khancobin" cattle stations, adjoining each other, on the Upper Murray, and in the following year they also bought "Indi" station adjoining, all three from Messrs. Grey Bros. About three years later Messrs. Menzies, Douglas and Co., consisting of Messrs. C. H. Douglas, H. Douglas, A. Menzies, R. H. Kinnear, and T. Nicoll, bought "North Yanko" sheep station from Messrs. McNeill Bros. "Bringenbrong," "Khancobin," and "Indi" were sold in 1876 to Mr. Thomas Mitchell, and at about the same time the other partners bought out of "North Yanco," leaving only the two Douglas Bros, as owners. They then purchased "Walla Walla," near Albury, N.S.W., and both "North Yanco" and "Walla Walla" are still held by them. For some time Mr. Douglas was interested in "Eurella" station, Queensland, only recently severing his connection with it.

In 1870 the deceased married Miss Henrietta Chapman, daughter of Mr. William Chapman, of "Lumley Park," Bungonia, N.S.W. On several occasions he visited England. Mr. Douglas was a well-known figure in Melbourne, and was much liked and highly respected by all who came into contact with him.

Original publication

Additional Resources

Related Entries in NCB Sites

Citation details

'Douglas, Charles Hill (1842–1898)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University,, accessed 29 May 2024.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2024

Life Summary [details]


25 September, 1842
Edinburgh, Mid-Lothian, Scotland


30 March, 1898 (aged 55)
Malvern, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Cultural Heritage

Includes subject's nationality; their parents' nationality; the countries in which they spent a significant part of their childhood, and their self-identity.