Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Cultural Advice

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that this website contains names, images, and voices of deceased persons.

In addition, some articles contain terms or views that were acceptable within mainstream Australian culture in the period in which they were written, but may no longer be considered appropriate.

These articles do not necessarily reflect the views of The Australian National University.

Comerford, Edward James (?–1950)

The death occurred recently of Mr. Edward James Comerford, who was for many years a leading stock and station agent at Moree, N.S.W., and also the owner of Brudle Park, in the Moree district.

Mr. Comerford was born in Ireland, but came to Australia in 1889 and took up an appointment with the Union Bank of Australia Ltd., where he obtained his early business training. Later he decided to go on the land and spent nine years at Welltown Station, Goondiwindi, Q., gaining much valuable pastoral experience.

From Welltown Mr. Comerford moved to Moree to establish his own stock and station agency business, and was joined shortly afterwards by the late Mr. J. B. Cramsie, one of the leading figures in the meat industry of Australia for many years and a former chairman of the Australian Meat Council and president of the New South Wales Meat Advisory Board. Messrs. Comerford and Cramsie carried on their Moree business as a partnership for some time, but when Mr. Cramsie resigned Mr. Comerford continued to operate on his own account until the firm was taken over by the Australian, Mercantile, Land and Finance Co. Ltd. in 1937.

In the meantime Mr. Comerford had purchased part of Bogamildi Station from the Australian, Mercantile, Land and Finance Co. Ltd., and he retained ownership of this property, which was called Brudle Park, up to the time of his death. His pastoral interests were further expanded in 1947 when he purchased Lucksall, situated 11 miles from Moree, for his only son, Mr. E. A. Comerford, who now resides there. Mr. Comerford is also survived by his three daughters, Mesdames G. Wilde, K. Godfrey, and G. Lawton.

Original publication

Citation details

'Comerford, Edward James (?–1950)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, https://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/comerford-edward-james-239/text240, accessed 18 September 2021.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2021