Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Cultural Advice

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that this website contains names, images, and voices of deceased persons.

In addition, some articles contain terms or views that were acceptable within mainstream Australian culture in the period in which they were written, but may no longer be considered appropriate.

These articles do not necessarily reflect the views of The Australian National University.

Burcher, Charles (1837–1916)

from Pastoral Review

There passed away at his home, Euglorie, Campbelltown, N.S.W., on 27th November, one who was widely known and highly respected in pastoral circles, and one who may rightly be referred to as a pioneer in pastoral New South Wales—the late Mr. Charles Burcher. He was born at Liverpool, N.S.W., on 4th April, 1837. On leaving school he went to his mother's station, Bredbo, near Cooma, of which he ultimately became sole manager, when his brothers retired from it. In 1854 the property was sold, the stock being travelled to Gippsland, where they were sold at good prices. With his brother-in-law, Mr. Thomas Herbert, he started buying store cattle on the Paterson, and selling them in Victoria, carrying on the business for some years.

In 1872 he joined Mr. C. H. Barber, of Gundowring Station, Victoria, in a third share of the purchase of Euglo, near Condobolin, assuming the management at the same time. In 1876 Mr. Burcher purchased Eugalong Station, adjoining Euglo, and also acquired Bena Station from the executors of the late Mr. John Cox. The purchase of these two adjoining properties made, inclusive of Euglo, a holding of 123,000 acres. The properties were then stocked with a good class of sheep from well-selected rams, and over 74,000 sheep were shorn there. In 1882 his partner, Mr. C. H. Barber, died, and by his will the property was sold by auction, Mr. Burcher becoming the purchaser, and ultimately disposing of a quarter share to Mr. H. E. Cox.

About twenty-eight or thirty years ago he purchased Fullerton and Rockwell Estates in the Goulburn district, and at the time of his death still owned Euglo and Fullerton. The late Mr. Burcher was a liberal supporter of every movement for the advancement of the district in which he lived. He also occupied at various times the position of president of the local agricultural association, the local jockey club, and the Pastures Protection Board, and he was from its inception a member of the Council of the Pastoralists' Union. By his passing away he leaves a large circle of relatives and friends, who mourn the loss of one who was widely esteemed for his many excellent qualities.

Original publication

Other Obituaries for Charles Burcher

Additional Resources

Citation details

'Burcher, Charles (1837–1916)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, https://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/burcher-charles-176/text177, accessed 7 December 2022.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2022