Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Cultural Advice

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that this website contains names, images, and voices of deceased persons.

In addition, some articles contain terms or views that were acceptable within mainstream Australian culture in the period in which they were written, but may no longer be considered appropriate.

These articles do not necessarily reflect the views of The Australian National University.

James Thomas Allan (1831–1912)

James Thomas Allan was born at Secunderabad, India, in 1831, where his father, who was in the Army, was stationed at the time. He was left an orphan at the age of three, and was educated in England, but being attracted to the goldfields, left the Old Country in 1852 by the Bank of England, and reached Australia after a long trip of ninety-five days at sea. Limiting himself to five years at the diggings he worked at most of those in New South Wales and Victoria, but at the end of that time having met with no success, turned his attention to pastoral pursuits and went to Mr. W. H. Walsh, of Degilbo, Queensland, where he remained for some months. However, when the Canoona diggings started near Rockhampton he left the land for a while, and with a Mr. Helsham, started carrying provisions to the field, but after two or three trips gave it up and worked for the Landsboroughs of Port Curtis district, forming Kroombit Station for them.

He next joined the Livings on the Dawson for a year, when fired with the idea of exploration, he persuaded Mr. Ernest Davies, who was working on an adjoining station, to accompany him, and with a friend named Wilkinson, they ventured out into the unknown Barcoo country, which had been explored and taken up by Sir Thomas Mitchell about twelve years previously, and then forfeited and forgotten. They spent every penny they had in an outfit, making their own packsaddles, &c., and with sixteen out-law horses which were lent to them, started out on a three months' trip. They returned without any serious mishaps, selling four of the horses for their owners, to Walker the explorer, for £100 as he was going out.

On their trip they took up Mount Enniskillen, Elizabeth Creek, Greendale, and Northampton Downs, and in dividing them the first two fell to the share of Mr. Allan, while Northampton became the property of Mr. Davies. Greendale, which was not stocked within the prescribed time, was taken up by Messrs. Berklemann and Lambert.

On returning from their trip another party was organised by men wanting new country, and Mr. J. T. Allan was asked to be the leader. The party included the Livings, De Satge, and Missing. The Livings took up Camberwell, afterwards Ravensbourne, and sold it to Messrs. John Stevenson and B. D. Morehead.

In 1862 Mr. Allan formed a seven years' partnership with the late Mr. T. S. Mort and the first Sir William Manning, and stocked Mount Enniskillen, 157 miles from Springsure, with 1400 cattle from the Reynolds, of Coalbar. The station brand was made 202, which afterwards gave place to the IME brand, since so well known in Queensland.

At the expiration of the partnership another was formed, when Mr. H. Garnet bought Mr. T. S. Mort's share, and Mr. John Cameron was also taken in with his station Barcaldine Downs, and Home Creek which belonged to Mr. Allan. These two were afterwards sold to the Fairbairns. This also lasted seven years, and at its conclusion the remaining properties were auctioned, Mr. Allan securing Mount Enniskillen and Birkhead, which with Windeyer and Maryvale, he continued to hold until he sold the latter in 1902 to the owners of Saltern Creek, and the other three were sold to Messrs. Clark and Tait, of Powella, in 1909.

Other properties taken up by Mr. Allan were Lorne and Alice Downs, the latter of which he forfeited and which was afterwards taken up by Messrs. Gregory and Allport; Terrick, which he gave to Mr. H. Harden, of Northampton, in partnership with Sir W. Manning, and some years later Vergemont, which he sold afterwards to Mr. John Ryrie, and also Evesham, which was sold to Mr. E. K. Cox.

In 1909 Mr. Allan selling out his Queensland properties, went to live in Sydney, where he lived a retired life up to the time of his death. He married Miss J. B. Conolly, niece of the late William Conolly, of Goulburn, who survives him. He has left two sons, G. and J. Allan, of Erne, Blackall, Queensland, and three daughters, two unmarried, and Mrs. J. J. Dulhunty, of Illabo, N.S.W.

Original publication

Related Entries in NCB Sites

Citation details

'Allan, James Thomas (1831–1912)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University,, accessed 19 May 2024.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2024