Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

von Bibra, William (1876–1926)

William von Bibra, n.d.

William von Bibra, n.d.

from Pastoral Review, 16 August 1926

After a long illness Mr. William von Bibra, of Beaufront, Ross, died at Launceston on 4th August. He was one of the principal pastoralists in Tasmania, having large interests in land and stock.

Born at Harford in 1876, and educated at Launceston Grammar School, he spent his early life at Dunorlan, northwest Tasmania, where he was associated with his father, the late Mr. W. F. von Bibra, in a large stock business. He then established himself at Strath, Hagley, and also purchased the adjoining property of Selbourne. The Waterhouse Estate, in north-eastern Tasmania, also came into his hands.

Subsequently Mr. von Bibra transferred to the mainland and purchased Boggabri Station in New South Wales, but sold out a few years later, and returned to Tasmania, purchasing Bashan. He passed this on to Messrs. Brock Bros. and bought Beaufront and Syndal, near Boss. Here he established a fine Merino flock. A few years later he purchased Kendon, which adjoined Beaufront, and the three properties were worked as one in conjunction with a large tract of mountain country. He tried his fortunes once more on the mainland and purchased Noorong, near Deniliquin, but after a few years sold it and concentrated his interests in Tasmania and King Island. He also cut up several Tasmanian properties, including Strath, Selbourne, Stonor and Hawkridge. Mr. von Bibra leaves a widow and two sons.

Original publication

Citation details

'von Bibra, William (1876–1926)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/von-bibra-william-991/text992, accessed 24 November 2017.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2017

William von Bibra, n.d.

William von Bibra, n.d.

from Pastoral Review, 16 August 1926