Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Robertson, James Ernest (1873–1954)

Mr. James Ernest Robertson, who died in Melbourne on 16th January, was a member of a well known pioneer pastoral family in Victoria. His grandfather took up land near Colac, being one of the earliest settlers in that area, and Mr. Robertson lived first at Glen Alvie Station, Colac, where the famous Robertson Bros.' Shorthorn stud was run. Later he owned Riccarton, Colac, but then left the Western District to settle at Northwood Park, Seymour.

In 1927, in partnership with his brother, Mr. Robertson purchased Boyd Station, Forbes, N.S.W., and this partnership continued until the property was resumed for closer settlement in 1947. He also had an interest in the partnership of Yacamunda, Clermont, Q., owned by Robertson Bros, and Winter-Irving Bros.

The late Mr. Robertson always took a keen interest in pastoral and agricultural affairs and was a councillor of the Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria from 1908 until his death, He held office as vice-president of the society in 1913 and 1943 and was made an honorary councillor four years ago.

Original publication

Citation details

'Robertson, James Ernest (1873–1954)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/robertson-james-ernest-863/text864, accessed 18 October 2018.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2018