The death of Mr. James Richmond, at Kincairney, Perthshire, Scotland, in his eighty-ninth year, was recorded in the last issue. The late Mr. Richmond was a well-known early Australian pastoralist, who, at one time, owned, amongst other properties, Coreen Station, Corowa, New South Wales, and for over 40 years Haddon Rig, in the Warren (N.S.W.) district. He was also a partner in Gingie Station, Walgett, N.S.W. Born at Southdean, near Jedburgh, Scotland, he came out to Australia in 1852. Notwithstanding the gold fever then prevailing, and the many flattering offers of employment, he adhered to his original intention of taking up sheepbreeding, and started "squatting" on the Wimmera (Vic.) with the late Mr. Halliday of Brookong (N.S.W.). Later on they took up Spring Batik on the Avoca, and after being there a number of years dissolved partnership. The late Mr. Richmond then, in 1873, purchased Haddon Rig, which at the time had only one fence, and that was around the horse paddock, and all the sheep had to be shepherded. In a short time he soon had the station fenced and subdivided and laid the foundation of the well-known Haddon Rig Merino stud. For the past thirty years the deceased lived in Scotland. One of his sons, Major George Richmond, who was twice severely wounded in the war, owns Mogila Station, Goodooga, N.S.W., while another son, Captain Leslie Richmond, was killed in the retreat from Mons. He also lost a grandson and son-in-law in the war; the former on Gallipoli and the latter in France.
Mr. Richmond was highly esteemed for his upright sterling character and genial disposition by all who had the privilege of his acquaintance.
'Richmond, James (1834–1923)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/richmond-james-854/text855, accessed 24 October 2016.
from Pastoral Review, 15 September 1923