Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Richardson, J. Elliott (1843–1914)

J. Elliott Richardson, n.d.

J. Elliott Richardson, n.d.

from Pastoral Review, 15 August 1914

The late Mr. J. Elliott Richardson, a well-known Western Australian pastoralist, who died last month, was born in Tasmania in 1843, his father being the Rev. T. E. Richardson, M.A., of Glasgow, who was Presbyterian minister at Portland, Victoria, for many years.

The subject of this sketch was for a few years employed in commercial pursuits after leaving school, but in 1861 the reports of fine pastoral country in Western Australia led to the formation of the Portland Pastoral Company, consisting of Messrs. A. E. Anderson, McKenzie Grant, and J. Elliott Richardson. Mr. David Edgar and J. Fitzgerald, of Harrow, were also partners. The company chartered the ship Maria Ross, which was despatched with 1700 sheep, horses, cattle, and station plant to the new world in Western Australia. Wonderful to relate, only twenty sheep died during the voyage, and the expedition reached Cossack in capital order. Landing the stock proved to be a difficult undertaking, as the captain would not venture close to the shore, and it became necessary to construct rafts, made by lashing planks across two boats. This was a heavy task, and the landing occupied four or five days of strenuous work.

The company first of all took up Pyramid Station, and at the termination of the four years' partnership Messrs. Grant and Anderson withdrew, with the intention of taking their stock southwards. A dry season prevented this, and they then turned northwards, and took up the De Grey Station, which afterwards became the property of Messrs. Grant, Edgar and Co., who have recently sold it to Mr. Mark Rubin, of London. Messrs. Richardson and Edgar remained at Pyramid, of which Mr. Richardson ultimately became sole owner, and he in 1906 sold out to Messrs. Broadhurst and Crofton. The late Mr. Richardson was also interested for a time in Cherritta Station, near Roebourne, which was purchased by a small syndicate in 1884. His interest in this was finally sold to Mr. A. C. Gillam. 760 Aug.15, 1914.

On leaving the Nor'-west, Mr. Richardson settled down in Claremont, and held a seat in the Legislative Council for a term. In later life, his sons having invested in properties at Broomehill, the deceased gentleman followed them there, and purchased a small property himself. His sons also hold Pippingarra Station, near Port Hedland, and it was while visiting this property for a change that Mr. Richardson succumbed suddenly to heart failure. He was a man of kindly temperament, and a sterling character.

Original publication

Citation details

'Richardson, J. Elliott (1843–1914)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/richardson-j-elliott-851/text852, accessed 30 November 2020.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2020

J. Elliott Richardson, n.d.

J. Elliott Richardson, n.d.

from Pastoral Review, 15 August 1914