Attention Internet Explorer User

Your web browser has been identified as Internet Explorer .

In the coming months this site is going to be updated to improve security, accessibility and mobile experience. Older versions of Internet Explorer do not provide the functionality required for these changes and as such your browser will no longer be supported as of September 2020. If you require continued access to this site then you will need to install a different browser such as Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome.

Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Priar, John Jay (1832–1896)

A fatal fire occurred at Ohaoawai on Tuesday evening by which an old Russell resident named John J. Priar was so seriously burned that he died last night. So far I cannot learn how the fire originated, but it is supposed his bedding caught fire while he was asleep, and that the smoke made him insensible. When found he was lying on the floor, having rolled off the bed. The fire was confined to the one room.

Original publication

  • New Zealand Herald, 6 March 1896, p 5

Citation details

'Priar, John Jay (1832–1896)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/priar-john-jay-25267/text33701, accessed 28 September 2020.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2020

Life Summary [details]

Birth

1832

Death

4 March 1896
Auckland, New Zealand

Cause of Death

burns

Cultural Heritage