Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

MacDonald, Aloysius (1846–1907)

Aloysius MacDonald, c.1880

Aloysius MacDonald, c.1880

State Library of South Australia, 11260

The report of the death of Mr. Aloysius MacDonald, manager of the Bank of New South Wales in Wellington (N.Z.), which occurred at his residence, Wellington, on December 11, came as a painful surprise to his friends in Australia. He was a firm adherent of the old faith of the MacDonalds, and was revered for his Christian uprightness, his kindness of heart, and his unobtrusive but manly character. Mr. MacDonald leaves a widow and five sons — the Rev. A. A. MacDonald, of Mosman, Sydney (who was in Wellington at the time of his father's last illness), and Messrs. Ronald, John, Colin, and Aloysius MacDonald. Mr. Colin MacDonald is on the staff of the Bank of New South Wales. Deceased also leaves two sisters — Mrs. Dr. McKillop, of Goulburn and Sister de Sales, of the Convent of Mercy, Melbourne.

Mr. MacDonald, who was born in Scotland in 1846, was the only son of the late Archibald MacDonald, of Kyneton (Vic.), who (born in 1802) was a great-grandson of Alexander VI., chief of the Keppoch MacDonalds, who was killed on ill-fated Culloden Moor, when leading into battle all the MacDonalds who had espoused Prince Charlie's cause. At the early age of eight years the deceased was sent to be educated, at first to Mount St. Mary's College, Eckington, near Chesterfield, and a year later to Ushaw College, near Durham, where he remained for eight years. Soon after his arrival in Australia he entered the service of the Colonial Bank of Australasia at its Kyneton branch in March, 1864. In 1873 he was appointed manager of the Nagambie branch in the Goulburn Valley. At the end of the following year he left the Colonial Bank and entered the Bank of New South. Wales. In 1875 he opened a branch of that bank at Oxley, in the Ovens district of Victoria, from which he was transferred in 1877 to the management of the St. Arnaud branch. In 1882 he became manager at Kyneton (Vic), and four years later he was promoted to be manager at Adelaide. In 1897 Mr. MacDonald was moved to headquarters (Sydney), and two years later was appointed to be manager of the bank's rapidly growing business at Wellington.

The burial was surrounded with the honours accorded a Highland chieftain at the wish of Mr. MacDonald, who desired that his funeral should as nearly as possible correspond with what it would have been had he died in the home of his ancestors. Thus, when the handsome casket, was borne from the Sacred Heart Church, Wellington, on Thursday, December 12, it was placed on a lorry, the rough boards of which were covered with red cloth, and after being draped with a plaid of the MacDonald tartan by Sergeant Chartres, of the Highland Rifles, the cortege moved off to the Karori cemetery, headed by Pipers D. Campbell and Scott, playing the weirdly-touching lament, 'Lochaber No More,' the wail of the pipes mingling strangely with the deep tones of the softly tolling bell. Behind followed a long line of cabs, each with a full complement of mourners, and a large number on foot. The chief mourners were the deceased's five sons, the Rev. Father A. MacDonald, of Sydney, Ronald, John, Colin, and Aloysius MacDonald, and the Hon. J. Rigg and Mr. Archibald Rigg, cousins of the deceased. Among those present were his Worship the Mayor (Hon. T. W. Hislop), Hon. R. Loughnan, M.L.C., Lieut.-Colonel Collins (Secretary of the Treasury), Sir Kenneth Douglas, Messrs. Focke (German Consul), and many other prominent citizens.

Archbishop Redwood celebrated the Solemn Pontifical Requiem Mass in the Sacred Basilica in the morning. His Grace was assisted by the Rev. Father Finnerty as deacon, and the Rev. Father Bowden as sub-deacon. The Vicar-General (Father O'Shea) and a number of other priests were in the sanctuary. The Gregorian music was rendered by a sestet of priests, assisted by the Hon. R. Lougnan, M.L.C., Father Kimbell presiding at the organ. There was a large congregation at the morning Mass, and many visited the sacred edifice throughout the day to show their respect and esteem for the dead. Before the body was borne from the church the Archbishop read a portion of the burial office. The ceremony at the graveside was particularly impressive. The body was borne to its last resting place to the accompaniment of wailing pipes, and, after the prayers had been read by the Rev. Father Moloney, the pipers played the mournful 'Lord Lovat's Lament' over the open grave. — R.I.P.

Original publication

Additional Resources

Citation details

'MacDonald, Aloysius (1846–1907)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/macdonald-aloysius-16660/text28560, accessed 25 November 2017.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2017