Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

King, Charles Southcote (1862–1924)

Charles King, n.d.

Charles King, n.d.

from Pastoral Review, 15 April 1924

Mr. Charles Southcote King, of Roma Downs, Roma, Q., died suddenly in Sydney last month at the age of 62. A son of Colonel King, he was born in Ireland, and a good deal of his childhood was spent at Malta, where his father's regiment was stationed. Later he was educated in England, and as a young man went with a brother to the West Indies. About 1880, however, he came out to Australia with a letter of introduction to Mr., afterwards Sir, Edward Knox, of the Colonial Sugar Refining Company.

Mr. King joined the service of the C.S.R., and after spending some time managing a plantation on the Queensland coast near Mackay, returned to New South Wales, and in partnership with Mr. F. H. Rutledge, leased for some years Gunningbar, near Warren. It was here, in the early 80's, that the life-long friendship between Mr. King and Mr. H. R. Pockley was formed.

Later Mr. King rented a property near what is now Canberra, and in 1892 purchased Roma Downs, where in 1906 Mr. Pockley joined him as partner and manager. Mr. King also acquired a half-interest in Stratton, in the Roma district, now owned by Mr. Duncombe. In 1913 Messrs. King and Pockley bought Struan, which they still own. Since 1906 Mr. King had lived much of his time in England, having bought a property known as Sprowston Grange, near Norwich. He leaves a widow, the daughter of the late Thomas Rutledge, of Carwoola, N.S.W.

Original publication

Related Entries in NCB Sites

Citation details

'King, Charles Southcote (1862–1924)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/king-charles-southcote-566/text567, accessed 11 December 2019.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2019

Charles King, n.d.

Charles King, n.d.

from Pastoral Review, 15 April 1924