Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Jenkins, William Henry (1846–1923)

The name of William Jenkins is best remembered by old timers when mention is made of the Nangus and Billabong Stations. But the next generation remember the name when the old Royal Oak Hotel, South Gundagai, is mentioned. Born at Gillenbah, Buckinbong, 78 years ago (his dad was half owner of the station), Wm. Jenkins spent the early part of his life (perhaps about half a century) on Nangus Station, which is now owned by the McKinneys. He afterwards took over the Billabong Station, now owned by the Beveridges, and somewhere in the nineties went into the old Royal Oak Hotel, South South Gundagai. Death called William on Friday last—he passed away in Junee Hospital. He was the eldest son of the late Mr Jno. Jenkins, of Nangus Station, and the State's oldest lady, Mrs Jenkins, of Epping, who, this month celebrated her 101st birthday. A brother, Mr Frank Jenkins, is left behind. Deceased was the father of 17 children, most of whom survive. The funeral took place on Saturday last.

The remains were interred in the C.E. cemetery at Nangus, the Rev. H. F. Champion reading the burial service.

Original publication

Citation details

'Jenkins, William Henry (1846–1923)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/jenkins-william-henry-25867/text34014, accessed 18 October 2019.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2019