Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Houison, Ann (1804–1899)

One of the oldest residents of New South Wales, Mrs Ann Houison, passed away at her residence, Macquarie-street, Parramatta, last night. She was born in December, 1804 in Fifeshire, Scotland, and came to the colony in 1832 under engagement to Mr Hannibal Macarthur. She was married in June, 1834, to Mr James Houison, who designed and erected many notable buildings in Parramatta, including St John s Church, All Saints' Church, Subiaco Convent (originally the home of the Macarthurs), the old Parramatta Courthouse, and the Parramatta Gaol. She lived in Parramatta since her arrival in the colony, and was in possession of all her faculties until 10 days ago. Eight children and 32 grandchildren survive her. Her sons are Mr David Houison, district engineer harbours and rivers, Drs James and Andrew Houison, Sydney, and Richard Houison, Parramatta. The daughters are Mrs Fairclough, Parramatta, Mrs Smith, wife of Captain Smith, Sydney, Mrs Mellion, Petersham, and Miss Houison, of Parramatta.

Original publication

Citation details

'Houison, Ann (1804–1899)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/houison-ann-14420/text25501, accessed 22 September 2019.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2019