Deep regret will be felt at the announcement of the death of Mr. Molesworth Greene, one of the oldest pastoralists in Victoria, who died on the 10th inst. in Melbourne, at the age of 90.
He first came out to Australia in 1842, landing in Melbourne with his father, family, servants and friends, his father having chartered a ship himself. Six years after his arrival the late Mr. Molesworth Greene bought Mr. James Moore's half of Glenmore Station, near Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, then held by Moore and Griffiths, and thus joined his uncle, Charles Griffiths, as his partner. Some years later he bought for the firm of Griffiths and Greene Mt. Hope Station, about 35 miles from Echuca, Victoria, from the late William Campbell. With this station he got the Camden flock, the progenitors of which had been given to Wm. Campbell by the Macarthurs. Some years afterwards, in conjunction with Mr. Robert Massie and Sir Frederick Darley, he bought Merungle, a cattle station on the Lachlan, N.S.W., and held it for a considerable period. About 1864, in conjunction with the late Lloyd Jones and A. F. Sullivan, who was the active partner in this enterprise, he took up a large block of country in south-west Queensland, the runs afterwards known as Bulloo Downs, Tickalara, Onepah, Dynevor Downs, and others.
The late Mr. Greene took an active interest in business matters right up to the time of his death, and was one of the most highly cultured representatives of the pastoral community. He was also an exceedingly graceful speaker, and would have been an ornament to any Parliament.
In 1852 he married Miss Emma Browne, sister of the late Mr. T. A. Browne ("Rolfe Boldrewood"). One son (Mr. Pomeroy Greene) and two daughters survive him.
'Greene, Molesworth Richard (1827–1916)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/greene-molesworth-richard-442/text443, accessed 29 March 2017.
from Pastoral Review, 16 October 1916