Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Green, George Dutton (1850–1911)

The announcement of the death of Mr. George Dutton Green, which occurred on Thursday, will be received with widespread regret. The deceased, who was aged 60 years, was senior member of the well-known firm of Green & Co., land agents, auctioneers, and surveyors, Pine street. He was the eldest son of the late Mr. George Green, who founded the firm in 1848 on the site now occupied by the Union Bank in King William street. Mr. Dutton Green attended St Peter's College for a while, and was later educated at a scholastic institution in Brighton, England, to which he proceeded in 1858. In 1867 he returned to Adelaide and entered his father's office in a junior capacity, but soon evinced marked aptitude for the avocation he had elected to follow, and before many years had attained a responsible position in the business. In 1875 he obtained his licence as an auctioneer, and alone acted in that capacity for the firm. When his father retired the management devolved upon himself and his partner, Col. J. C. Lovely, who performed the work of surveyor and engineer., The block of land in Pirie street, on the western corner of which are the offices of Green & Co., was acquired in conjunction with a few friends in 1880, and the present building, with its numerous corridors and suites of offices, erected thereon by the co-partnership. Mr. Dutton Green was prominent in commercial circles. He was a director of the Gas Company and John Hill and Co., and formerly of the South Australian Land Mortgage and Agency Company (for which his firm latterly acted as agents), and of the Metropolitan Brick and South Australian Brewing Companies until quite recently. For many years he was a director of the Glenelg Railway Company, until it was taken over by the Government. The deceased was a member for the old district of East Adelaide in the House of Assembly from 1884 to 1887, and was invited on several occasions to enter the political arena again, but had to decline. Mr. Green was a Vice president of the Park Lands League, and a trustee of the Wyatt Benevolent Fund, and was connected with racing clubs and athletic bodies in the metropolitan area. He married, in 1876, Constance, daughter of the late Mr. W. H. Charnock, merchant, and the family consists of three daughters. Mr. Green had been ailing for a considerable time, and had been confined to his home since November, but during the last few days had been in a private hospital.

Original publication

Citation details

'Green, George Dutton (1850–1911)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/green-george-dutton-16449/text28405, accessed 11 December 2019.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2019