Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Gebhardt, Gustav Adolph (1833–1900)

Gustav Gebhardt, n.d.

Gustav Gebhardt, n.d.

from Australasian Pastoralists' Review, 15 May 1900

Mr. Gustav Adolph Gebhardt, who died on Friday was born in Duderstadt, Hanover, Germany, in the year 1833. He arrived in the colony by the ship Ohio in 1858, and shortly afterwards proceeded to Burra where he started a butchering business, which he carried on successfully for some years. Having considerable knowledge of stock, he directed his attention to the pastoral industry, and purchased the Mount Cone property from the Crown, and shortly afterwards leased Pualka, where he sank the first dams in the neighbourhood. He otherwise improved the property, which he subsequently sold, and which is now known as a portion of the Paratoo Run. He next purchased Markaranko Station, a leasehold property on the River Murray, which he held for 19 years. Mr. Gebbardt was an indefatigable worker, and suffered great hardships in developing and improving this run, having to contend against bad seasons and vermin. On the expiry of the lease he relinquished the run, which is now cut up into smaller holdings. Adding to Mount Cone, about 1871 Mr. Gebhardt purchased a portion of Mr. Lewis's estate, known as Wildotta, where he built his residence, Mackerode. There he lived for many years, until failing health compelled him to retire from active business when he removed to Glenelg, leaving the property to the management of his sons. Mr. Gebhardt imported some high-class Lincoln sheep from England, and worked up what was at one time the best flock of Lincolns in the colony, having taken numerous prizes in the Adelaide showyard, including champions. The whole flock was subsequently sold, and the run restocked with Merinos. Being recognised as a high authority on stock, he was for many years chosen to act as judge at various Shows. Only recently Mr. Gebhardt acquired the two estates, Pareora and Corryton Park. In 1875 he and his family took a twelve month's trip to his native land, and he was considerably benefited by the change and rest. Mr. Gebbardt was ever ready to assist in charitable objects, and it was his custom to do this in the most unostentatious manner. He has left a widow and family of seven children, three daughters and four sons, who are Messrs, Chas. E., L. W. and A. Gebhardt, of Mackerode and Corryton Park, and A. G. Gebbardt, of Pareora, Port Wakefield. There are also two brothers and sisters. Mr. Gebhardt had been since his residence in Adelaide a member of the Lutheran Church, Flinders-street.

Original publication

Citation details

'Gebhardt, Gustav Adolph (1833–1900)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/gebhardt-gustav-adolph-1179/text1451, accessed 19 October 2018.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2018

Gustav Gebhardt, n.d.

Gustav Gebhardt, n.d.

from Australasian Pastoralists' Review, 15 May 1900