Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Delohery, Cornelius (1839–1924)

The death occurred yesterday of Mr. Cornelius Delohery, who was a member of the Civil Service for 40 years, during which period he was chairman of the Public Service Association, and who for 10 years was a member of the Public Service Board. He was in his 85th year.

Mr Delohery entered the Public Service in 1869? and occupied the position of clerk in the Central Police Office until 1872. He was then appointed clerk of petty sessions and land agent at Maitland. He was chosen to fill the position of Mayor. That office, however, he occupied for only a year, the Ministerial head of the department to which he belonged being of the opinion that the duties of the position were incompatible with those he had to perform as a public servant. Mr. Delohery's stay in Maitland lasted for 10 years. He was transferred to Sydney, receiving the position of clerk of petty sessions and chamber magistrate Three years afterwards he was made deputy stipendiary magistrate, and subsequently he received the permanent appointment. He was secretary of the old Australian Patriotic Association, of which the late Sir George Reid was a member, and he took a prominent part in raising the funds for the statue of Captain Cook in Hyde Park. Mr. Delohery was one of the founders of the Civil Service Co-operative Society. During a critical period in its career he acted as managing director. Owing to his appointment to the Public Service Board he was obliged to resign the directorate. When arrangements were being made to form the council of the Public Service Association Mr. Delohery was requested to become a candidate for the representation, with two others on the council of the members of the association in the Department of Justice. He consented, and he was elected. At the first meeting of the council he was chosen for the position of chairman. This office he filled in a manner that secured for him the respect and esteem of his colleagues.

He was a prominent worker of the Anglican Church. For many years he was a warden at St. John’s Church, Darlinghurst, and was their representative at the synod.

Mr Delohery’s wife died about nine months ago. He is survived by a family of five sons and three daughters. The sons, all of whom received their training at the Sydney Grammar School and the Sydney University, are – Mr. Cornelius Delohery, a well-known Sydney barrister; Mr. A. H. Delohery, solicitor, Sydney; Dr. H. C. M. Delohery, formerly of Forbes, and now practising in Sydney; Mr. H. G. Dolohery, accountant in the Bank of Australasia, Newcastle; and Mr. E. C. Delohery B.E., mining and civil engineer, who is engaged on the construction of the Chichester dam, near Dungog, which is the source of the Newcastle water supply. The daughters are: - Mrs. H. M. Thompson, Mrs. Norman Nivison of the well-known Ohio Station, in the Walcha district and Miss F. E. Dolohery.

The funeral will leave St John’s Church, Darlinghurst, immediately after the service, which is to be held at 2 o’clock this afternoon, for Waverley Cemetery.

Original publication

Citation details

'Delohery, Cornelius (1839–1924)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/delohery-cornelius-304/text305, accessed 25 November 2017.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2017