Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Dangar, William Thomas (1835–1928)

At the age of 93 years, Mr. W. T. [William Thomas] Dangar passed to his rest at West Kempsey on the 2nd inst. A few years ago he visited Port Macquarie, a town he greatly loved, and was a worshipper at St. Thomas' Church on the Sunday he spent here. In an obituary notice of the deceased the Macleay Argus says: — Born at Bodwin, Cornwall, England, the deceased came to Australia with his parents in the sailing ship 'Earl Grey,' and after a short stay in Sydney with his mother and sister, they joined the father at Port Macquarie, he then being in charge of Greenburn a small station on the Hastings River. Later the family moved into Port Macquarie, where the deceased attended school, having as school mates the late Judge Cohen, Mr. Nathan Cohen, Messrs. S. and G. Verge and others who later became prominently identified with the development of the North Coast districts. In 1849, when 14 years of age, he went to Sydney in the schooner 'Mary Ann.' He served his apprenticeship as a saddler with a Mr. John Graham, and subsequently worked at West Maitland till 1858, when he came to Kempsey in the steamer 'New Moon.' Shortly after his arrival here, the deceased took up a lease of land from the late John Verge, the area running along the south side of Belgrave-street to a point opposite the Methodist Church. He built a store for his sister, Miss E. P. Dangar, who was also the postmistress, and later built a brick building for the post office, which is now occupied by Mr. C. A. Lane, chemist. In 1873 deceased erected a two-storey brick building in Belgrave street, where he carried on a saddlery business for many years, but advancing age brought about his retirement, and he then went into the butchering business. He was also in partnership with a Mr. Watt in a large sawmilling business at Commandant Hill, but for many years past has been content to sit, an interested spectator, and watch the development of a centre in the early days of which he took so prominent a part. He took a prominent part in the advancement of Kempsey in past years. For 15 years he was an alderman, and on three occasions was Mayor. Was largely instrumental in securing the bridge which connects East and Central Kempsey; was a member of the Macleay River Jockey Club, Macleay A. H. and I. Association, Port Macquarie P. P. Board, Licensing Bench, and other public and progressional movements. For many years he was a member of the local Land Board, and religious and charitable and patriotic organisations always found in him a sturdy supporter, generous and broad-minded. For many years he took an active interest in All Saints' Church of England, West Kempsey, and was a Christian in act as in profession. By the passing of William Dangar the Macleay loses one of its finest citizens, who for long served the community in every way within his power, nor sought by the service his own advancement. His wife predeceased him by 12 years. There are four daughters left to mourn a splendid father: Mrs. Samuel Bond, Mrs. Harry D. Morton, Mrs. (Dr. Burns) and Mrs. Jones. The funeral was a very large one. The Rev. Canon Ware read the burial service.

Original publication

Citation details

'Dangar, William Thomas (1835–1928)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/dangar-william-thomas-16887/text28779, accessed 21 November 2017.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2017