Attention Internet Explorer User

Your web browser has been identified as Internet Explorer .

In the coming months this site is going to be updated to improve security, accessibility and mobile experience. Older versions of Internet Explorer do not provide the functionality required for these changes and as such your browser will no longer be supported as of September 2020. If you require continued access to this site then you will need to install a different browser such as Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome.

Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Cudmore, Arthur Frederick (1854–1919)

Arthur Cudmore, n.d.

Arthur Cudmore, n.d.

from Pastoral Review, 16 October 1919

With the passing of Mr. Arthur Frederick Cudmore at his home in Adelaide recently, the world is the poorer by the loss of a man of high integrity, a public spirited citizen, devoted husband and father, and also a last link is broken in a chain of associations with some of the pioneer squatters of New South Wales. Born and educated in Adelaide, the fourth son of Mr. and Mrs. D. C. Cudmore, then of Yongala Station, S.A., the late Mr. Cudmore in 1871 joined his elder brother Dan, who, with his father, had just bought half of Tapio Station, on the Darling. The other half was purchased at the same time by Messrs. Service, Brooke and Ormond, and managed for many years by the late Mr. T. C. Brooke, who, with many years of Victorian squatting experience behind him, quickly became a leading light in the district. The Cudmores called their new property Avoca, and from thence the D.C. over Avoca wool became well and favourably known.

In 1880 Mr. Cudmore, sen., sold his interest in the station to his two sons, Milo and Arthur. The new firm then acquired Popiltah, on the Anabranch, and also a block inside the South Australian, borders, called Oakvale, and young Arthur went to manage those outback properties. In 1881 he married Miss A. M. Brooke, of Tapio, and from then to 1895 resided entirely at Popiltah. The Avoca "store" sheep were then sent by easy stages through Popiltah to Oakvale, to be later transferred as "fats" to the Burra market, and the superintendence of this, in addition to the necessary development of dry areas, necessitated continually long journeys through the far-famed Scotia blocks, usually made with four-in-hand teams, Arthur being an expert whip, and the knowledge thus gained of untamed nature gave him an immense love for the "bush," which was very marked throughout his whole life.

He at once took up the water conservation schemes for the Anabranch, begun by his brother, D. H. Cudmore, and Popiltah, situated on the great lake of the same name, and filled only by the excess flood waters of the Darling, became the centre of all such operations. The entrance to the Anabranch was deepened, the big 183 dam was built, and water secured to all the settlers, and his band of dam makers, led by his different managers, Messrs. E. Nicholls, J. Fitzsimmons, A. Barnfield, and A. and R. Haynes were in continuous demand during every flood to prevent water escaping from the numerous lakes in the vicinity.

In 1895 Mr. D. H. Cudmore sold out and retired to Victor Harbour, S.A., thus ending a long and loyal partnership of three devoted brothers. Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Cudmore, with their three small daughters, then took up their abode at Avoca. The days were now very full, managing an area of 1100 square miles, carrying 100,000 sheep, but they were never too long for the energy and enterprise of Arthur, who at once established a telephone service all over the run, the first in those parts. He also began to take an active part in local affairs. He and his wife were of much assistance to the Church of England in Wentworth, and he became a valued member, and long-time president of the Agricultural, Pasture's Protection and Hospital Boards, and member of the racing club, his courtesy, longsightedness, and genial nature endearing him to all classes of the community.

In 1911 the brothers decided to sell the old home, but Mr. A. F. Cudmore rebought it, in partnership with his son-in-law, Mr. R. F. Roberts, and leaving the management to him, went for a trip to England, and never again resided on the river. In 1914 Messrs., Cudmore and Roberts sold to Mr. Ben Chaffey, and Mr. Cudmore bought a small station in Queensland, in partnership with one of his former managers, Mr. Robert Haynes, and made his own headquarters in Melbourne. A severe heart attack in Sydney in 1918 left him in frail health, and he decided to settle in Adelaide to escape the Melbourne winters, and had just established himself there, and bought a house, when he was seized with the last fatal illness, which carried him off, to the keen regret of all who knew him. He has left a widow and three married daughters.

Original publication

Additional Resources

Citation details

'Cudmore, Arthur Frederick (1854–1919)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University,, accessed 20 October 2020.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2020

Arthur Cudmore, n.d.

Arthur Cudmore, n.d.

from Pastoral Review, 16 October 1919