Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Cox, George (1795–1868)

A few months since we had to record the death of the Honorable Edward Cox. Our last month's obituary contains the name of his older brother — Mr. George Cox, of Winbourne, Mulgoa — one of our oldest and most respected colonists, who died on the 20th of August, in the 75th year of his age. His father was an officer of the old 103rd Regiment, who, on the dismemberment of that corps, turned his attention to agricultural puituits, which he followed on his estates, near Windsor and Richmond, where he died at an advanced age, leaving several sons, who, with the Macarthurs, the Blaxlands, and other contemporaneous families, have largely contributed to the development of the pastoral capabilities of the colony. Mr. George Cox, early in life, took up a grant of land on the Nepean, which in time became the estate of Winbourne, one of the most spacious and English-like homesteads in the colony. Following the example of his father, who was amongst the first to open out the Bathurst country for grazing purposes, Mr. G. Cox was one of the earliest squatters in the Mudgee district, where he laid the foundation of that high reputation as flockmasters, which is and so deservedly enjoyed by his sons. Although long well-known as a large sheepowner and landed proprietor, as well as the kind and generous dispenser of hospitalities at Winbourne, and though, in consequence of his high character and standing, he was invited by Sir W. Denison to take a seat in the Upper House, on its first formation under our present Constitution (a honour which he at once declined), yet his retiring and unassuming disposition prevented his ever being in any sense of the words, "a public character." Nevertheless, few men in the colony have gone to the grave leaving a name so generally honoured. As a landlord, a master, a friend, as well as a liberal large-hearted Christian, and one of the best and most single-hearted of men, he attracted to himself a love and respect, and this from all classes, which it is the lot of few men to win in so large a measure. One of the most noticeable features in his character was his considerateness both for the wants and infirmities of others, specially of his dependants, and thus it doubtless was that his servants remained with him so unusually long; some even for forty years. The two different families he had at one time in his service the representatives of no less than three generations. At the time of the gold discovery, when few were able to keep their servants not one left him. His death was such as became the end of a ripe Christian. His funeral took place on the 24th of August, in Mulgoa Churchyard, his mortal remains being committed to the family vault by the Bishop of Sydney. The body was borne to the grave by eight of his old servants, and was followed by a large concourse of relatives and friends — the pall-bearers being the Hon. E. Deas Thomson, Sir William Macarthur (the deceased's old and early friend), Mr. Thomas Barker, the Hon. John Blaxland, Mr. James Riley, and Mr. Coley. Amongst other mourners were the Chief Justice, the Hon. John Hay, and Mr. Oxley, and other representatives of some of the old colonial families. Mr. Cox has left four daughters and six sons, of whom the eldest is the Hon. G. H. Cox.

Original publication

Additional Resources

Citation details

'Cox, George (1795–1868)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/cox-george-15638/text26835, accessed 24 November 2017.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2017