Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Black, Steuart Gladstone (1862–1940)

The funeral of the late Mr. Steuart Gladstone Black took place at the Terang cemetery on Monday afternoon, and about 40 cars formed the cortege.

The coffin-bearers were Messrs. Cam, McArthur, Archie Crawford, Keith Hamilton, John McLean, A. Robb and J. Crawley, while the pall bearers were Messrs. W. K. Mackinnon, J. C. Mackinnon, John Curdie, Walford Manifold, Walter lan Black, Alex Mackenzie, L. Weatherly and Dr. Stokes.

The service at the graveside was conducted by the Rev. J. Roland, a former minister at Noorat, who was assisted by the Rev. P. Somerville.

Mr. Black was the son of the late Hon. Niel Black and was born at Glenormiston on April 14, 1862. He was educated at the Geelong Grammar school and from there went to Trinity College, Cambridge, where he took a degree.

The Black family's association with Glenormiston began in 1840, when the Glenormiston Crown lease passed to Niel Black and Co. The members of the company were Niel Black, Thomas Stewart Gladstone (a cousin of the famous statesman), A. S. Finlay and A. Steuart. A little later the company purchased 17,000 acres in the district now known as The Sisters, and in 1868 the members of the company decided to dissolve partnership. The land was divided into three groups—Noorat, Glenormiston and The Sisters. Mr. Black selected Noorat; Mr. Finlay, Glenormiston, and Mr. Gladstone, The Sisters. Eventually Mr. Black acquired The Sisters property.

In 1889 Mr. Finlay sold the Glenormiston estate to Mr. Steuart G. Black. Terang and district owes much to the Black family. Messrs. S. G. and Archibald Black were the principal movers in establishing the Glenormiston butter factory and were both directors of the company for a long period. They were also actively associated in the formation of the Trufood Company.

The late Mr. Steuart Black was at one time a member of the Mortlake shire council and the Hampden shire council.

Of late years he had been in ill-health and was unable to take an active part in public affairs, but he was always a supporter of all things for the betterment of the district. He was a trustee of both the Noorat and Terang Presbyterian churches. Mr. Black was well-known for his many kind acts to those who were in need of assistance.

With Messrs. W. K. Mackinnon and James Mackinnon, the late Mr. Black donated the money for the erection of the fine soldiers' memorial in Terang, which was handed over to the care of the shire council.

Mr Black's hobby was gardening, and Glenormiston House, apart from its historical interest, has always been a place of beauty. One of the most beautiful rural views in Victoria can be obtained from the front of the mansion. Mr. Finlay was a great lover of trees and in the years that followed, Mr. Steuart Black continued to enhance the beauty of the landscape. Glenormiston House was always noted for its orchard, vegetable and flower gardens, lawns, summer houses and pagodas.

Mr. Black is survived by his wife and one son and two daughters Archibald (a lecturer at the Oxford University), Miss Cara Black and Margaret (Mrs Stokes, Melbourne). Mr. Black's first wife passed away in 1898.

Mr. Black was the last of a family of three brothers. Mr. Niel W. Black was a passenger on the ill-fated Waratah, while Mr. A. J. Black died in 1912.

Original publication

Additional Resources

Citation details

'Black, Steuart Gladstone (1862–1940)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/black-steuart-gladstone-113/text114, accessed 17 November 2019.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2019