Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Bayly, Nicholas Paget (1814–1879)

from Sydney Mail

Nicholas Paget Bayly, 1876

Nicholas Paget Bayly, 1876

from Australian Town and Country Journal, 18 March 1876, p 453

Mr. Nicholas Paget Bayly, whose name appeared in our obituary column last week, and whose portrait appears with this, was one of the most successful sheepbreeders and pastoralists in Australia. For nearly two score years his flocks have been prominently before the public, and his fame as a producer of wools of super-excellence has reached many countries remote from the shores of Australia. He was the second son of Captain Nicholas Bayly, whose father was the first cousin of the late Marquis of Anglesea, and was born in the year 1814 at Bayly Park (now known as Fleurs), South Creek. In 1828 he went to England, and after four years of study there returned to this colony. Shortly after this Mr. Nicholas Paget Bayly was known as the skilful manager of the stations of the Messrs. Lawson, which were situated near Mudgee, and from the stud sheep depastured on these he selected the animals which formed the nucleus of the now famous Havilah flock. By the exercise of judgment and care, and by intermingling occasionally fresh strains, Mr. Bayly succeeded in improving the original stock to such an extent that the Bayly sheep became strong favourites with all breeders and a demand commenced for them which increased year by year, until it often happened the late gentleman could not possibly meet the requests of his numerous customers. The estate of Havilah, which is situated on the main road to Rylstone, is about 12 miles from Mudgee, and here it was that the late gentleman surrounded his residence with gardens which proved that his taste as a horticulturist was of no mean order. On 53,000 acres of land, of which over 20,000 acres were freehold, Mr. Bayly depastured 17,000 sheep; and, as he employed no manager or overseers, and would allow no eye but his own to supervise the station work, this vast estate kept him fully and profitably occupied. Occasionally he would spare a few weeks or days to be devoted to a visit to the metropolis, and the meetings of the A. J. C. at Randwick were often selected as fitting seasons for those hours of relaxation. He was a hard worker, one who was stern in his business transactions, but who, apart from these, was genial, generous, and hospitable. Being remarkable for physical strength and abstemious habits, his death, which occurred through apoplexy on the 2nd instant, was unexpected, and brought forth expressions of surprise as well as sorrow from nearly all the sheepbreeders, who were at the time engaged with the late International sheep show. He leaves a widow, two sons, and four daughters to mourn his loss, and several residents of the Mudgee district will miss his words of advice and occasional acts of assistance. For the portrait from which our engraving is taken we are indebted to Mr. H. E. A. Allan, of this city, who is a nephew of the deceased, and who, on the receipt of the news of his death, almost immediately left here for Havilah, so that he might attend the funeral, which took place on the 3rd instant. From this gentleman we learn that the cortege was a large one, and that several residents of Mudgee joined the procession before it reached St. John's Church, where the service was performed by the Rev. H. T. A. Bentzen. The venerable Archdeacon Gunther officiated at the grave, which was fittingly surrounded by all classes of the community.

Original publication

Other Obituaries for Nicholas Paget Bayly

Citation details

'Bayly, Nicholas Paget (1814–1879)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/bayly-nicholas-paget-2956/text33533, accessed 25 November 2017.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2017

Nicholas Paget Bayly, 1876

Nicholas Paget Bayly, 1876

from Australian Town and Country Journal, 18 March 1876, p 453