Obituaries Australia

  • Tip: searches only the name field
  • Tip: use double quotes to search for a phrase
  • Tip: lists of awards, schools, organisations etc

Browse Lists:

Archer, Gerald Edward (1877–1949)

The death of Mr. Gerald Edward Archer at his home Landfall, East Tamar, yesterday, has removed one of the most prominent figures in municipal and pastoral circles in Tasmania.

Mr. Archer, who was in his 73rd year, was born at Hawkridge, Powranna, and he has resided at Landfall ever since, with the exception of a short break in 1900 when he was in charge of the Lauriston estate near George Town.

He was a foundation member of the Lilydale Council, and had continuously represented Dorset Ward since 1908. Prior to the inception of local government, he was a member of the Dorset Road Trust of which his father the late Mr. Frank Archer, was chairman for 20 years, so the father and son have served on public bodies for 68 years.

Mr. Archer was one of the most prominent and highly esteemed members of the Council and he has held the position of Warden, Deputy-Warden and Treasurer, and also represented the municipality on the Launceston Marine Board, and was a member of the Lilydale Licensing Court.

It is believed that his unbroken term of office of 41 years as a councillor is a record for Tasmania.

He was a generous supporter of the Lilydale Bush Nursing scheme, the Red Cross Society, and took a keen interest in the East Tamar Rural Producers' Association. In 1948 he donated an area of land at Rocherlea to the Lilydale Council for use by the East Tamar Rural Producers' Association. In 1947 he received a presentation from the members of the council in recognition of his outstanding services to the municipality.

He was the senior Justice of the Peace for the district of Lilydale as he was appointed in 1908. He was treasurer of the Newnham Methodist Church Trust, and was a member of the Council of the National Agricultural and Pastoral Association. For a number of years he was a director of W. T. Bell and Co. Ltd.

When his father died in 1902 he was appointed business manager of the Landfall Estate and continued in charge of the property until the death of his mother. He then carried on the property in partnership with his brother Hedley, until the latter died in 1929, and in 1938 he became sole owner of the property. For the past 18 years he has been assisted by his only son, Mr. F. R. Archer.

Over many years, Mr. Archer built up the quality of the Merino wool on Landfall, with the result that the clip now ranks among the best in the State. He was well known as a sound judge of Merino sheep and had acted as judge at the Campbell Town Show.

He married Miss Philp, daughter of Rev. Robert L. Philp, formerly of the Paterson St, Methodist Church. Mrs. Archer died in 1935. Mr. Archer leaves one daughter and one son. Dr. Geraldine Archer and Mr. Frank R. Archer, of Landfall. Two of his six brothers still living are Messrs. Charles Archer, George Town, and Mr. Evelyn S. Archer, Launceston.

The funeral will take place at Carr Villa cemetery this afternoon.

Original publication

Additional Resources

Citation details

'Archer, Gerald Edward (1877–1949)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/archer-gerald-edward-1502/text1505, accessed 26 August 2019.

© Copyright Obituaries Australia, 2010-2019