The death occurred at Ulverstone yesterday, after a short illness, of Mr. Daniel Archer, of Longford Hall, Longford. Mr. Archer was taken ill at the North-Western centre, where he intended spending a holiday, about ten days ago. He was well known and generally respected in Northern Tasmania, and his demise will be regretted by a large circle of friends.
A son of the late Mr. Edward Archer, of "Northbury," near Longford, the late Mr. Daniel Archer was born there 77 years ago, and practically ever since he has been prominently associated with the pastoral and agricultural activities of this state in a large way. It is about twenty years ago since he acquired Longford Hall from Mr. R. C. Kermode. Before that, however, he occupied 'Woodside," Cressy, which is now held by his only surviving brother, Mr. Basil Archer. Then he purchased a place near Campbell Town, where his son, Mr. John Archer, is now residing. He also lived at Douglas Park, in the same district, for same time.
The late Mr. Archer evinced a keen interest in anything calculated to advance the welfare of the northern part of the state. When Mr. Thomas Arthur, of' "Entally," died Mr. Archer became president of the the Northern Agricultural and Pastoral Society. He was well known in sporting circles.
Mr. Archer first married a daughter of Mr. Campbell, Presbyterian minister at Oatlands, who died some years ago, while his second wife was a Miss Nicolson. There were three daughters—Mesdames Arthur O'Connor and H. W. Green (of Sheffield), and the late Mrs. M. Arthur, and two sons, Messrs. John and Lance Archer, who reside in the Campbell Town district. The funeral will leave the Longford railway station tomorrow morning after the arrival of the train from the coast.
'Archer, Daniel (1844–1921)', Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/archer-daniel-1449/text1449, accessed 25 May 2013.